Not Set

Passenger ferry that was beached and broken up in Turnchapel, Plymouth

Type

Passenger ferry

History

The small steam passenger ferry Lily was built in 1877 and transported people from Saltash to North Corner. In 1880 she was purchased by the Oreston and Turnchapel Company and in 1886 the Lily was renamed Swift.

The end came for the Swift in a gale in January 1962 when she sank at her moorings, she was salvaged and beached then broken up at Turnchapel.

Description

None of the passenger ferry Swift remains on the beach at Turnchapel

Location and Access

Turnchapel, Plymouth

Position OS: SX 49413 53095
Position GPS: 50.358457, -4.118354
Show the site on Google Maps SHIPS Link

Information

Date Built:

1877

Builder:

Unknown

Official Number:

Unknown

Length

Unknown

Width

Unknown

Depth in Hold

Unknown

Construction

Timber, carvel, transom stern

Propulsion

Steam then converted to diesel in 1954

Tonnage

Unknown

Portmarks

None

Abandoned

1962


Not Set

Leave a message

Your email address will not be published.

Click the images for a larger version

Image use policy

Our images can be used under a CC attribution non-commercial licence (unless stated otherwise).